Everyone knows that finding the perfect wedding dress is a crucial detail for every soon-to-be bride. However there is another dress that is as equally as important, the one for your beautiful mom! Your sweet mother has been looking forward to this day for as long as you have, and she should feel beautiful and confident in what she is wearing too!
In order to give the best advice to all our MOBs out there, we reached out to the wedding attire experts, and our Surrey Center neighbors, House of the Bride. This Thursday through Saturday they will be hosting a trunk show just for moms, featuring designs by Marisa Baratelli and Rina di Montella. They even will be having a champagne drop-in for mothers and daughters Thursday evening from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM! Sounds like the perfect evening to us!
To get the most out of your shopping trip, we collaborated and came up with a list of 5 must-know tips for mother-of-the-bride dress shopping!
- It can be good idea to have a style in mind! And our gown gurus agree! "The first thing I always ask mothers is what are the bridesmaids wearing and if there are any other colors the bride is using? We want to have a seamless look throughout the entire bridal party, so it's important to know the other details."
- Come prepared! Not only with the right undergarments, but also a pair of shoes you are comfortable in. "It gives them an idea of the heel height they should wear and if they could be comfortable all night."
- Shop at the right time. It's a smart idea to go during the week vs. during the weekend. "There's nothing better than having the store to yourself. If you have someone who's opinion you trust - bring them! Also take advantage of special events like trunk shows. Designers have many pieces in a collection per season but a store can only buy so many. When we have a trunk show we get the entire collection so there are many more options to choose from. Plus there's usually an incentive!"
- Make your appointments early in the wedding planning process. While everyone knows it's smart to shop early for the bride's dress, this is important for mothers too! "While it doesn't take quite as long we do have some special order gowns that will take up to 3-4 months to receive. They may also need multiple fittings with time in between of 2-3 weeks. We often have mothers forgetting about themselves!"
- Trust your instincts! You want to make sure you feel like yourself on this important day! "They know the styles they're comfortable in, we just want to make sure they're the best versions of themselves! Trust your consultant - we see people in these dresses all day long. We know how they fit - just because something looks scary on the hanger doesn't mean it won't look great on a body!"
Overall the most important thing to remember is that this process is supposed to be fun! This item on the wedding to-do list may end up being one of the most memorable activities the two of you do together. So make sure to help mom out, because she deserves to feel beautiful too!
Thank you to our friends at House of the Bride for collaborating with us on this post!